Monday, June 16, 2008

To the Theater!

Because summer is such a season that attracts mass amounts of people to movie theaters, I can't help but allow myself to be counted one of the masses; it's almost impossible not to succumb to stadium seating, air conditioning, and the electricity in the air at the premiere of a new flick.

In the past month alone I have seen The Happening, Sex and the City, Kung Fu Panda, Indiana Jones, Prince Caspian, Iron Man, and Horton Hears a Who and I still have plans to watch Don't Mess with the Zohan and The Hulk. So am I addicted to the movie theater? Perhaps. But that's one addiction for which I have no plans of quitting.

So here are my thoughts on some of the recent films I watched.
  • The Happening. So I pretty much love M. Night Shymalan, although I have no clue how to say his last name. He thrilled me with Sixth Sense, spooked me with Signs, ensorcelled me with The Village, and touched me with Lady in the Water. But, as a close friend of mine put it "he's a one trick pony." The Happening did nothing for me, just like the rest of his films it had the eerie beginning, the tense middle where we don't really know what's going on, and the surprise ending where we're flooded with the moral background to the film. Although I still love M. Night Shymalan, I'm getting bored with his one trick.
  • Sex and the City. Hello lover! As I learned later, this movie was pretty much an extended episode. Not having been exposed to more than six episodes of this famed HBO series before I saw the movie, I like to think I went into the theater a Sex and the City virgin. I came out, however, an addict; do you suppose there are support groups for this? All I can think about now is Carolina Herrera, Fendi, Oscar de la Renta, Dior, and falling in love in New York City. There was one weird part in the movie, though. It's called Jennifer Hudson. Considering she's the only academy award winner in the entire cast she gave a surprisingly horrible performance. Ah well, the magnificent fashion easily overshadows her anyway.
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It was everything it promised to be- fun, exciting, adventurous...but what the blazes was with the alien bit, huh? Cinematically it was pleasing, but the story was slightly too sci-fi for my tastes.
  • Iron Man. Who better to play a drunken billionaire playboy than Robert Downey Jr.? I was absolutely enthralled with the film. Not only did it translate fantastically from comic book to movie screen(better than any other DC or Marvel attempt), but it was smash on its own as a movie. I couldn't have been happier with it.

I can only hope The Hulk can block out the painful memory of its predecessor, The Incredible Hulk. Although I don't expect too much cinematically with Zohan, I'm sure it'll create a few laughs. After all, a summer at the theater is a splendid thing, if only for the air conditioning and electricity in the air.

No comments: